Home WiFi networks can be a paradise for intruders or hackers. With the advancements in technology, it seems that hackers are also becoming smarter day by day. Several people have become victims of hijackers who steal their data with the help of advanced, special devices. Keeping this fact in mind, we have come up with this post. Here, we’ll make you well-versed regarding how to perform new extender setup to keep your WiFi away from the reach of snoopers. Let’s get started.
Secure wireless home network with Netgear extender setup
First of all, you need to set up a range extender in your home or office. Before installing your device, be familiar with its ports, LEDs, and buttons. Mainly, there are 4 LEDs namely router link, device link, power LED, and WPS LED.
When you install new extender setup, it acts like a bridge between wired or wireless devices and home or office router. The device works in two modes: extender and access point. In the first mode, it functions the same as that of a network client while in the second mode, it plays a role as an access point and works like a wireless router.
Follow the steps below to perform extender setup with ease:
- Place your extender and router as close as possible during the initial wireless extender setup After that, you can place it anywhere but make sure it is within the router’s range.
- Turn on your device and wait for power LED to become visible.
- In case the LED does not turn on, use the power on/off button to turn on the range expander.
- Connect it to your current network. This can be done by two ways: web browser setup and WPS.
- Both the methods require you to enter mywifiext and type default login details. However, to make use of WPS method, ensure that your device provides support for WiFi protected setup.
- Once done, a web page will display. All you need to do is just click on Netgear WiFi extender setup
- In case you first time log in to the Netgear genie setup page, you have to create an account.
- Fill in the required fields and click next.
- Next, select the network you want to extend.
- Connect your devices to the extended network by entering the same password.
- Unplug it and shift it to a new location where you get poor connectivity.
- Turn it on and let power LED turn green.
- Connect devices to the network once again.
If you want to connect a wired device to the network, make use of an Ethernet cable. After that, log in to extender to see and change settings according to your needs.
In order to keep your wireless network safe from hackers, walk through the below-given instructions after completing WiFi range extender setup.
Additional tips to secure your WiFi network
Change admin password
There are a wide range of routers which come with the default password letting you access admin controls. However, these passwords may be the same for similar products. This fact can make a security flaw for your device and allow hackers to access it. Therefore, it’s recommended to change the default password immediately.
Keep a watch over your network
Make use of admin controls of router to check the connected device to your net. Doing so will help you identify unknown and unauthorized users.
Disconnect router when not in use
After WiFi extender setup, you need to take care of router so that no one can eat up your wireless data. In case you are going for a picnic on weekend or not using router, best to turn it off by unplugging it from electrical outlet.
So, these were our tips to safeguard your network. Do you have your own tips to get the job done? If so, let us know in the comments section below. We would love to hear from you.